I got my name in lights with notcelebrity.co.uk

Monday, October 15, 2007

Ahhh Technology..gotta love it! :)

For the next assignment about writing about technology I decided to write about my latest adventure with Technology. I decided to write about my new 160 gb IPOD and the hell I went through with it.

The story goes: My PC at home went kaput for a bit...the story on that was well kinda my own fault because I decided to torture myself yet again and buy yet another crappy Apple product...yes they had suckered me into buying the U2 edition IPOD when it came out but hey it was U2 so I HAD to get it...anyways my IPOD was getting full since it was only a 20 GB and so it was time for a new MP3 player...as soon as I decide to buy Apple puts out the 160 gb one and being the Hard Drive space junky that I am I got suckered into buying one yet again...MY fault...anyways from the minute I plugged it in I had problems with synching, crashing Itunes and an occassional freezing...after trying time and time again to get my whole library onto the IPOD without it crashing Itunes I was successful...now I decided to get album art for my music which the stupid thing does not just update what is on your IPOD but sees it as a whole new file and deletes what is on your IPOD and reinstalls the file now with the album art...so it deleted like 40 songs off of the IPOD and then Itunes crashes yet again and will not synch even trying time and time again...went to the Apple site and hordes of people are complaining about the same kind of issues...Apple puts out a firmware update stating that THIS will fix all your problems...guess what IT DOESNT!...more people complain...next Apple puts out new version of Itunes...and THIS will fix all your problems..guess what... IT DOESN'T, in fact after installing the new version my PC no longer recognized the IPod. I was ready to pull my hair out. I decide to do a system restore to before the last Itunes and guess what PC will no longer load my profile in Windows...since only I use the PC I only have 1 admin profile so I could not even change to another profile to delete mine and start over fresh...decide to try reinstalling Windows...nope wont let me do it unless I format my hard drive and if I do that ALL my stuff is gone...NO WAY...decide to install on 2nd HD but same request wants me to format...NO WAY!...had to wind up going to Staples (cuz I had a $10 off card) and buying a new HD...went out and got a 500 gb internal. for like $110 and with the coupon got it for $100. Not bad for half a terrabyte Anyways put Windows on that and popped it in...made it the Master and my original HD the slave. Still had some PC problems...after a bunch more techy fixes I got it working...Anyways my stuff was there YAY and I copied it over to the new drive on a 2nd partition I made. Then I took that drive out and put the old 2nd HD in and am keeping that one as the slave as has more space than the other one. Now I have 750gb in my PC. Anyways after that I reinstalled Itunes and plugged in the IPOD..it was still not recognizing it. At this point I didn't know if it was the software of the Ipod itself. I plugged it into my laptop and the same thing...I was almost ready to go back to the store and return it...I mean it had only been a week and it hadn't worked right at all...so back to the forums I went and saw alot of people had the same problem and one person appeared to have found a solution...I tried it on my PC and that appears to have done it. It appears that the new version of Itunes installs the Apple USB driver in the wrong place...once you move it into the correct directory in Windows it is fine. Now my PC recognizes it and it actually is working ok now...damn Apple products! After all that trouble I hope Steve jobs gets Hemorroids and has a bumpy ride cross country on his next Apple tour!! :)

2 comments:

Sherwood said...

Awesome blogsite. I like those smiley cartoons.

MarleneT said...

Thanks for the nice comment Sherwood! :)

U2